Causes and Fixes
How to Avoid the Red Ring of DeathTo help prevent a "Red Ring of Death" from happening to your Xbox 360, remember these things:
- Avoid putting your Xbox 360 on carpet.
- Do not move your Xbox 360 when the power is on.
- Keep the console in a well-ventilated area.
- Purchase a warranty with your console to plan ahead for technical issues.
The "Towel" Method
- A popular solution across the world wide web is the "towel" method, which involves wrapping your Xbox 360 in towels and leaving it for about 20 minutes. Although this can provide a temporary fix, it only promotes further overheating and more problems down the line.
Opening the Console
- If you are technically inclined, there are methods of opening up your Xbox 360 and fixing the issue yourself. This voids your warranty, so be extremely cautious when making the decision to take your Xbox 360 apart.
- Ars Technica: Save your 360 from the dreaded red lights
Let The Pros Handle It
- Probably your best bet when facing the dreaded red lights is to send it to the Xbox 360 support team for repair. If your unit is not under warranty, this will cost around $140. You can call them at 1-800-4MY-XBOX for more details (9AM - 1AM EST).