- Elevate your head by sleeping on a thicker pillow or multiple pillows will help reduce your snoring.
- Don't drink alcoholic beverages, take sleeping pills, tranquilizers, or antihistamines right before going to sleep; they will cause your muscles to relax and limit your air passage way.
- Avoid dairy products, which can cause mucus build-up right before you go to sleep.
- If you are overweight, losing some weight will reduce snoring by increasing the space in your air passage way.
- Sleeping on your side instead of your back will help to prevent snoring.
- A common remedy to prevent sleeping on your back is to sew a tennis ball to the back of your shirt; the discomfort of sleeping on the ball will prevent you from staying on your back.
- Try following a regular sleep routine.
- Try taking in a little bit of honey before sleeping.
- Don't eat a big meal right before bed, if your stomach is full it will push up on your diaphragm and limit breathing passage ways.
- Avoid eating "rich" foods such as cakes, cookies, chocolate and pizza.
- Sleep on a firmer pillow, a pillow that's too soft encourages your throat muscles to relax and narrows your air passageway.
- Inhale steam before sleeping or sleep in a room with a humidifier turned on; this will reduce congestion and moisturize the throat.
- Purchase some nasal strips and put them on before going to sleep. Nasal strips will open up your nostrils and allow more air to come in, thus reduce snoring.
- If you are a smoker, stop smoking, if that is not feasible then avoid smoking right before you go to bed. Smoking causes inflammation and swelling of the throat.
- Take anti-snoring pills or use anti-snoring nasal spray.
- Consult a medical profesional if your snoring continues to adversely affect your sleep.
How To Stop Snoring
Are you one of those unfortunate souls that snore all night long, and sometimes even on afternoons? Does your partner have to sleep in another room because of you? Or maybe it is the other way around and you are dismissed to the living room? Maybe you even have woken yourself up now and then? It seems that you need to learn how to stop snoring. Here are some tips that might help out.